Summer brings picnics, pool parties and all kinds of outdoor events, and everyone wants to get outside and use their grills. There are a few grilling safety tips that our residents at Chapel Hill North, our apartments in Durham, NC, should think about before planning any back yard events.
- Check propane grills for leaks before using.
- Use oven mitts and tools that are extra-long and made for grilling. An extra-heavy apron is also great to use for grilling.
- Keep kids and pets away from the grill at all times. Make sure they’re not hovering or hanging around while you’re trying to cook, either.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy just in case.
- Make sure to wash your hands, surfaces and utensils after handling raw meat or poultry.
- When disposing of coals, ash and other grilling residue, make sure it is completely cook before throwing it out. Even the smallest ember can start a fire.
Most of all – have fun! If you’re hosting a backyard barbecue, post about it on our Chapel Hill North Facebook page!
Photo via roger_mommaerts